The fall season in Washington State paints a mesmerizing canvas of fiery foliage and crisp, cooling air. However, it also heralds the onset of unpredictable weather patterns, power outages, and longer nights. Most notably, high winds can easily knock out power and keep us in the dark. In such scenarios, the benefits of a generator can’t be overstated!
While ensuring uninterrupted power and enhancing safety, a generator becomes an invaluable addition to Washingtonian homes during this season. But how does a generator benefit your home, and how do you install one?
Uninterrupted Power Supply During Storms
Did you know that the average U.S. electricity customer experiences roughly 2 hours of power interruption per year? No one likes to have interruptions in electricity. However, this is one of the benefits of a generator. Even when the power goes out, you can keep the lights on. Consider a Generac generator to help with:
- Perfect for power Outages: Fall in Washington State often brings with it stormy weather, which can lead to frequent power outages. With a generator, you ensure that your home remains powered even during the harshest of weather conditions.
- Provides safety and comfort: The immediate backup of power provided by a generator means your heating systems, lights, and necessary appliances remain functional. This not only provides comfort but also ensures safety during storms.
Prolonged Energy When You Need it
Being without power for a few minutes is inconvenient. However, it’s much worse when you go hours–or even days without electricity. This is where a generator can benefit you
- Keep your home well-lit for long periods of time: With fall comes shorter days and longer nights. The benefits of a generator include ensuring that your home remains well-lit during these prolonged hours of darkness.
- Increased home security: A well-lit home can deter potential intruders, ensuring your property and loved ones stay protected. Generators ensure that security systems remain operational even during power outages.
Benefits of a Generator: Energy Efficiency and Cost Savings
Generators can provide temporary fuel efficiency and reduced dependence on the power grid. Even though you can’t permanently power your home from the generator, you can experience some of the following for the short term:
- Fuel Efficiency: Modern generators are designed to optimize fuel consumption, ensuring that you get the most out of every gallon. This is especially beneficial when there are prolonged outages.
- Reduced Dependence on the Grid: With a generator, your dependence on the state’s power grid reduces. This can lead to cost savings, especially during peak demand times when electricity rates might be higher.
How to Choose the Right Generator
Choosing the right generator is crucial for ensuring you have a reliable power source during outages or for off-grid activities. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Purpose: Understand why you need a generator. Is it for emergency backup at home or for recreational activities like camping?
- Power Output: Determine the total wattage you’ll need. Add up the wattage of all devices and appliances you plan to run simultaneously. Consider both the starting wattage (initial surge when turned on) and the running wattage.
- Type of Fuel: Generators run on various fuels including gasoline, diesel, propane, or natural gas. Each has its advantages in terms of availability, cost, efficiency, and shelf life.
- Run Time: How long do you need the generator to operate without refueling? Check the generator’s run time at 50% capacity to gauge its efficiency.
- Portability: If you need to move the generator frequently, consider one with wheels or a lighter design.
- Noise Level: In residential areas or for camping, a quieter generator might be necessary. Check the decibel rating; the lower it is, the quieter the generator.
- Features: Some generators come with features like electric start, low-oil shutoff, or multiple outlets. Decide which features are essential for your needs.
- Price and Warranty: Set a budget and consider the warranty. Sometimes, investing a bit more upfront can save costs in the long run due to durability and lesser maintenance.
- Environmental Impact: Consider eco-friendly models that run cleaner and meet emission standards.
- Brand Reputation: Research brands and read reviews. Opt for a reputable brand known for durability and reliable customer service. We recommend Generac generators for residential properties.
Powering Your Home with a Generator Transfer Switch
A generator switch kit, commonly referred to as a transfer switch, is a device that safely connects a portable generator to a home’s electrical system. It allows homeowners to power selected circuits or the entire home without the risk of back-feeding electricity to the grid. This can be hazardous to utility workers and equipment.
When there’s a power outage, instead of plugging individual appliances directly into the generator using extension cords, the homeowner can flip switches on the transfer switch panel to power various circuits within the home. This setup ensures a more organized, efficient, and safe way to use a generator during power outages. Dadz Electrical can help install a dedicated circuit for this purpose.
This switch can be easily attached to your existing break box so your mobile generator can provide power to the breaker box. While it won’t provide electricity to your entire home, you can get enough electricity for roughly six circuits.
Do You Need a Dedicated Circuit for Your Generator?
If you are thinking of using a generator to light your home, you’ll need a dedicated circuit for a variety of reasons such as:
- Electrical Safety:
- Prevents the risk of overloading the system.
- Reduces the potential for electrical fires due to overload.
- Ensures the generator operates efficiently.
- Reduces the chances of unexpected breakdowns or malfunctions.
- Avoiding Backfeeding:
- Prevents electricity from flowing back into the main grid.
- Protects utility workers from unexpected electricity flow during repairs.
- Preserving Generator Lifespan:
- Operates the generator within its capacity.
- Reduces wear and tear, extending its useful life.
- Asset Protection:
- Safeguards the integrity of both the generator and home power systems.
- Human Safety:
- Reduces risks associated with electrical accidents and potential hazards.
Get a Dedicated Circuit for Your Generator this Fall with Dadz Electrical
The fall season in Washington State, with its unique challenges, underscores the manifold benefits of a generator. From uninterrupted power supply, enhanced safety, dedicated circuits, to cost savings, investing in a reliable generator ensures that Washingtonians can enjoy the season’s beauty without any interruptions.
Now that you know the benefits of a generator, it’s time to take advantage! Please call on us when you need help with installing dedicated circuits for your generator.